Something Interesting

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I found these articles interesting
I could not tell if they had been posted before.

No research yet on whether this effect exists in humans...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110720142520.htm
... but I'm sure that the article will be of considerable interest to some.

Coupled with this article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121127093959.htm
... it certainly does give me lots of food for thought. The possibility of sex-reassignment surgery that gives the patient fertility in their new sex seems... plausible. So here's a question for everyone on the site with any trans-inclinations: How would the possibility of being fertile in your new sex affect your decision to transition?

Not clear in those articles but

erin's picture

...all that sex-reversal action either takes place in fetuses or refers only to the sex of cells, not of organisms. Reversing the sex of cells in an adult organism would have less than complete effects on the organism itself. I've done other reading on this subject, though I don't have references or links at hand.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

to me, this phrase: "the

to me, this phrase:

"the testes show signs of becoming more like ovaries"

indicates changes in the bulk of the tissue among and between cells, not merely inside them.

It would be interesting of that can be made to go to completion.

It appears...

...that they're talking about in utero development.

All embryos, XX and XY, have the potential to make a uterus and fallopian tubes; the "gonads" can develop into either ovaries or testicles. It all depends on being exposed to the right signals and chemicals during fetal development. Once you're past that critical time, it can't be done. Kind of like once your hip bones are set, no amount of estrogen will make the pelvis "womanly", except for fat deposition around it. But expose a child to estrogen between age 8 - 14, and it's possible. So, for right now, no "protein shot" will be able to give us female fertility.

Now cloning, however... since cloning makes organs as if they were being developed in utero, that holds some promise. Imagine them making you a uterus and tubes and even ovaries from your own stem cells. Not a reality - but maybe not that far off?

I apologize if some of the language above is science lingo. I generally try to eschew obfuscation - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

"We have now discovered that

"We have now discovered that when Dmrt1 is lost in mouse testes -- even in adults -- many male cells become female cells and the testes show signs of becoming more like ovaries."

This is in adults.

Baby steps

The first article indicated that disabling the Dmrt1 gene in mice caused many (but not all) of the testis cells to take on a role more like those of ovarian cells. In terms of what could feasibly happen if the same process applied in humans (animal tests don't always produce the same effects when applied to humans!) and all were converted, self-production of estrogen and progesterone (and possibly the cyclical nature of them) may be the full extent: in GGs oocytes are formed during embryonic development (could a primordial oocyte be triggered to undergo maturation when it was a few months old rather than 12+ years?); while of course scrotal ovaries wouldn't be in the same location or have surrounding structures (e.g. fallopian tubes, uterus) necessary for the menstrual cycle.

As for the second article, sadly that's completely irrelevant - Gadd45g and Sry are primarily expressed during embryonic development, so disabling them after they'd been expressed would probably have negligible effect.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Dmrt1

You bring up a good point. If a treatment can be developed to turn testes into ovaries, t-women will no longer have to take hormones for life.

If these articles are more than

pseudo science, it could mean that some mad scientist could create a gender bomb to turn all males female.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine