Recent Retros

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I'm not quite sure what to make of two relatively recent (started in 2008 and 2009) unfinished pieces being front-paged as "retro classics".

Bringing back the "retro classic" tag does make sense; it's probably daunting or dissatisfying to new readers that so many of the stories being posted in recent weeks have either been derivative in origin (mostly Comics Retcon or Center stories) or parts/chapters of active serials or long stories. But choosing this particular type of alternative seems less than ideal to say the least -- especially without any warning to new readers that at best the loose ends haven't been tied up.

The regulars here see the titles and then get their hopes dashed about new episodes/chapters; the newcomers are primed by the "classic" tag for complete stories and don't get them. (Admittedly, neither of the pair currently halts at a cliffhanger, and "Do It Right" identifies as a serial as opposed to "Haifa", an incomplete novel.)

Further, I'd guess the authors would be ambivalent about being featured for something they haven't wrapped up yet, or perhaps take it as a less-than-friendly hint to get back to work. (I'd certainly like very much to see both of them continue, but "officially", if implicitly, chiding the authors wouldn't seem to be the way to do it.)

It's the admins' call, of course, and certainly not mine. But I felt it wouldn't hurt to bring it up and see if anyone wants to discuss it.

Eric

Eric - There really isn't anything to discuss

The retro classics I post are simply that - great writing people should experience. As to their completeness or anything else about them - that is not relevant to what I do. I'm not a nit picker, I'm trying to expose everyone to the great writing styles we have had the great fortune to have experienced over the years and if it stirs up discussion about the story itself or the continuation of them by the author or even inspires a new commenter to actually write.... then it was worth it. Don't read any deeper into what I do with the retros than that, because at that point you will be trying to put words and ideas coming from me that I never said.

The newer readership we are garnering has not seen these great works from years past and my mission is to expose them to it, complete or not, and do what I said above. If you look below the teaser box of the retro, there is a little tag called Ongoing/Complete. Look at that first before reading it if incompleteness offends you.

Inspire and Create.

Sephrena

Retros

Some aeons ago I read "No Half Measures", a story generally very well regarded in these 'ere parts. It stopped part way through for some reason; I was frustrated beyond description. It came back on here a while ago as a retro, and I finished it in one sitting.
I trawl the older stories, away from the "front page", every so often, and there are some gems there. What I find happens in my own limited work is that a new piece on the front page starts a "voyage of discovery" where a wave of new readers moves up my older stuff. Not THAT much older, in my case, but it is obvious when it happens.
So, while I have usually read the "retro classic" in question, and while it may be finished or not, it gives me an excuse and a simple link to go to the author and find other stories. Not only do I get a reminder, as Sephrena says, of good writing, I get to check the oeuvre of the writer and find gems I didn't know about.
Win-win for me.

Personally....

Personally, I just wondered how something that's about two (2) years old would classify as a classic. *shrugs*

I'm not complaining that good stories (I'm curious as to selection criteria, mind you.) get re-introduced to the newer readers (or older readers that for various reasons missed them on the last time around). It is a useful thing there.

Is there some criteria the admins use to determine what stories to "honor" with a re-fresh to the front page? Is it just stories that the admins liked? Are they stories that have not been "updated" in over a year? Only stories with over 2,000 hits - that match some other criteria. I guess, I'm wondering if there's an objective set of criteria that is used to decide which stories to boost, or is it purely subjective?

Next question is on how many "classics" are honored. Do you try to have one on the home page at a time, or is it "when time allows" and there could be several?

Thanks,
Anne (the curious kittie)

"No Half Measures"

Like you I started reading "No Half Measures" on line. When it stopped midway through, I purchased the book through Lulu.com. Having enjoyed that work, I continued on by purchasing Jenny Walker's other books, 'Breaking Cover' and 'Chasing Hope.'

Jenny was the writer who showed you could write good, interesting TG stories that went beyond the typical, 'Oh let's go to the mall,' or 'Mommy wants to make you into a little girl. Isn't that nice,' stories. I wish more writers would follow her lead.

Nancy Cole
www.nancycole.org

Nancy_Cole__Red_Background_.png

~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

I very much appreciate Sephrena's work!

I would like to comment here, but please don't think anything I say is meant to negate anything else discussed in this thread.

Not too long after I came to BC, I would find myself thinking of a story from a few years back ever so often. I would think of it at odd times, such as when driving to work, or running errands, places where a computer was not available. I had long forgotten the story name and the author, I only remembered the basic storyline, that was some relevance to my current emotional state, and I wanted to read it again.

Then one day Sephrena posted Emily, by Sara Lynn Morgan as a Retro Classic. I opened the link and rediscovered this wonderful tale, told in windows of time throughout her life. It was then that I realized how underappreciated she and others like her are in our community.

So a big thank you, Sephrena!! I don't care what your selection criteria are, I have found that if you post it as a Retro Classic, it's worth reading. And with a library as large as BC/TS has grown to be, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of the authors, let alone their stories (though I'm sure 'Drea is trying).

Hugs
Carla Ann