It's COLD in Florida

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

If it make you northerners feel better I am west of Ocala or just south of Gainesville and we are having a high of 44 today and a hard freeze tonight below 32 for more than 8 hours we should bottom our around 25.It has been cold like this for about 2 weeks now but they say we are not having a cold winter you could fool me Hugs and Cuddles to keep warm RICHIE2

I Hate To Admit It Richie....

[email protected] ... But that does make my smile a little bit broader!(giggles) There's nothing like sharing the joys of a mid-west Winter. I'm an Ohio gal, and always have been. Just be thankful that you don't have 10 inches of snow in your driveway!(more giggles)

Love And Hugs,
Jonelle-Elise(Bailey's Cuter Half!) ;)

Cold Here, Too

littlerocksilver's picture

It was about 25 in Little Rock this morning. We may have some flurries this evening.

Portia

Portia

It's -20 here...

I even had to wear my fur-lined flipflops yesterday to shovel the walk!!
Michelle

Its Beginning to Look a Lot Like ..........

Strangely right now we have had more snow than Greenbay, Wisconsin. More expected Thursday and a Storm next week that may track to the East and hit you in Ohio, or might get us, too soon to be sure. Still it is fourteen outside where I work in the night with wind chills that take it down to zero. Forty is tee shirt weather,

tallahasee, fl

It is cold here in Tallahassee, FL also low of 27 and high of 51.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Condolences

You have my condolences. I live in a similar climate, a little less rain, a lot less humidity (except on days it's going to rain), and we've only had two sub-freezing nights so far - 'tis enough.

I think what people from colder areas fail to realize when they find these things humorous and don't show sympathy, is how much our habit and created habitats are effected by expectations. I lived in Maryland for twenty years, so I still on twelve old sweaters, I wouldn't if I'd always lived where highs below sixty(f) were rare. I haven't had a filled parka since I realized winter hiking was stupid and skiing over priced (for my skill level)(even though I lived where it stayed below freezing about a week a year.).

My furnace is in the attic. How stupid is that? Well, not so stupid because my house is built on chalk and basements are difficult and expensive (near the gulf, they're probably build on an old marsh of one kind or another, and they're more expensive and difficult), and that heat up where it can't be used doesn't mean much most years. All my vents are in the ceilings, nice for A/C, cold air falls. Also, I don't power up the heat until late December, because when it's going to reach nearly 70 most days, it's only during breakfast that it's a problem, just a bit further north and this would be absurd and inefficient. During cold snaps, I walk around with my hands in the air.

Somewhere near the Ohio river, vents move to floors because hot air goes up. Yeah, that means they cool less well; so just sit on the floor and remember during your few 100degree days, that you don't ever get that high with 80% humidity (I swear, Houston, New Orleans and Miami all reach 150% sometimes. It's not so bad as ya' sit on the veranda near a fan, but don't try to get anything done.).

It's my opinion, that we have to go looking for weather so hot it's miserable, but miserable cold will always find you unless you are ready for it, adn some of us don't prepare for it because it doesn't always look in our neighborhoods. As soon as I win the lottery, I'm going to move to the San Juan's; except that it gets dark there so early, I'll probably have a deep winter depression anyway.

(Translation for metric-minded people: 32=0, water freezes in a school science lab; 40/50=sweater/jumper weather; 65=oh,yeah; 70= around where most people keep their thermostats; 85=great beach weather; 100=aaaggghhh!; 110=are you f-ing kidding me?; 20=woolly socks/feet on the hearth; 0=brrr,brrrr,brrr & car goes chuga-chuga; -10="I ain't going out there!!" -30=spit goes 'clink'.)

Cold in the UK too...

Here in the relatively mild Midlands, it was -7°C (19°F) at 7am this morning, and the temperatures have struggled to get above 0°C for the past week or so. And a Glaswegian friend saw the thermometer plummet to -12.3°C (10°F) late this morning...

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Advantages of cold weather.

For us, the main advantage is we can snuggle up together under the duvet all night without getting too hot :) Another is that we can use the field path to walk into our nearest market town. Normal cool damp Winters make parts of the route very muddy (well over ankle deep) and you can't go into shops with really muddy boots. It's only just over 2 miles and much more pleasant than walking on the pavement by the road.

A disadvantage is that I haven't really ridden my bike for 2/3 weeks because of the ice and snow. Could have done with it today to go for a hearing test prior to getting a hearing aid. I had to walk and find a bus but the schedules are all over the place because of heavy traffic made worse by icy roads.

I suppose it's cool, really ... too bloody cool if you ask me!

Robi

southern cold

Last January we were in Yucatan and Cuba during that bad cold snap. The temp made it down to the 40's (mid-single digits for metric folks). For us, growing up in New England, it was wonderful to run around in Jan with a low in the 40's, rising to low 60's in the PM--but the locals had no experience of real cold, no heated houses, and no warm clothing, so that my sympathies were definitely with them. Siberia at -40 with a heated house and warm clothing is much better than Havana at + 40 F without those amenities!

Susana

Cold UK

It's not that warm down on the South Coast. They just don't know how to drive down here. The motorways often get blocked.

Sam

I heard the same thing.

It's suppose to be a warmer, dryer than usual winter. Like everyone has pointed out, you could prove it by me. For Carolina we're having weather we don't normally get until late Jan or early Feb. It was 20 this morning. For here that's cold!

Hugs!

Grover

heavy Blankets

RAMI

Not as cold here in Ft. Lauderdale as it is in Ocala or Tallahassee, but we still broke out the heavy blanket.

This cool weather is nice and different. But since I spent 3 years in Buffalo, anything is better.

RAMI

RAMI

Weather Stichk

Welcome to Milwaukee, WI as you will see if you click on the Snow Stick right now we are just a bit cold

Good!

I have to admit to some schadenfreude here!lol!!

Mr. Ram

Weather ?? Whats that ??

I am so very very sorry but I can't help but snicker and grin at this thread. Today was upper seventies, and tonight is going to be real cold, it may get down in the 40's. This not to mention something like 325+ sunny days a year.

Yes, I chose the right parents to be born too. Now if I could have gotten the gender right...

Love you all,
Beth

Cold???

Enemyoffun's picture

Its 21 degrees here in wonderful Western New York but with the wind chill its actually about 8.

it can get much colder here

but that's what you get when you live this close to Santa's workshop.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png