Search

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Things are probably not stabilized, but I was wondering if "Search" functionality would be coming back? One of the first things that attracted me to Big Closet was that it was searchable, unlike some other story sites. Now, I can live without it, but it would be nice.

Yes, search will be back

erin's picture

The way we had done it before and are doing it again is running a search database on one machine while the main site runs on the other. This takes time to set up and a stable pair of machines. Maybe by Wednesday or Thursday we will have something up and running, building the search database takes time and at first it will not be a complete search.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

While the search is

While the search is unavailable you can always search the site using Google by adding the site:bigclosetr.us to the search string, that will make Google only shows results from the site.

Sometimes if the website is down, you also have the option to view a cached version of the page.

Hugs,
Andrea

Yes...

And Google has a VERY good index of BCTS... The site gets a lot of traffic and the Google loves sites with a lot of traffic.

Honestly, it'd be a good practice to search using Google anyways, just to help keep load off the servers here. Google can swallow our search traffic and not even notice it amongst all the other search traffic they deal with.

Abigail Drew.

Interesting.

I tried the other day to google "Garia" and got nothing except an Indian suburb and related entries. I went as far as page 60 and found no mention at all of my current main character (Yes, I'm that sad).

Several months ago "Garia" would have returned several hits for my character on the first page. I think that Erin had to turn web crawlers off at some point because they were interfering with operations. That may not be be case now.

I think that one cannot assume that Google always has it covered.

Penny

more likely a combination of things...

First: With the recent down time our traffic for the entire site fell drastically, which would effect the rankings for every result linked with the site.

Second: Your story itself is receiving less traffic overall resulting in lower rankings for your story.

Third: Garia India has paid Google to boost their rankings.

If you put site:bigclosetr.us as a search term or the words "big closet" as search terms your story will be all over the first page again.

Google's been playing preferential treatment AGAINST us recently for some reason, and it seems to have started with not the latest down time, but the time before it.

At least searching for "big closet" works again now. For a time Google refused to link to the front page.

Abigail Drew.

I'd forgotten I could add

I'd forgotten I could add that to the search line, instead of going through the advanced search form.

And I'd mistakenly assumed that Big Closet had a Robots file, as old attempts to dig through google results had failed.

I'd always felt guilty, with my searches; I will reform my habits.