Heaven or Hell Onions

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I invented this one night when my partner Jeanne had a terrible cold and complained that nothing she ate had any flavor.

One large yellow onion, sliced then the slices cut in half to make strings.
Two and one half tablespoons butter or olive oil.
A teaspoon of white sugar.
A teaspoon of brown sugar.
A teaspoon of Mexican vanilla.
Ground ginger to taste.
Minced garlic if you like.
A tablespoon of Chinese hot pepper sauce.

Cook the onion strings in two tablespoons of the butter or oil on medium-low heat until they turn clear then begin to brown. Turn the heat down to low. Pile the onions into a pile in the middle of the pan. Sprinkle on the white sugar and perhaps add a bit more butter or oil. Continue cooking on low, not stirring until the sugar begins to caramelize. Add the ginger, garlic, vanilla, brown sugar, hot sauce and the last of the butter or oil. Stir and turn, continuing to caramelize the onions. When the mass is stiff and brown, it's done.

Serves one grumpy, onion-loving patient or several healthy adventurous people. :)

Hugs,
Joyce

Hey

I bet she'd love a Vidalia onion pie. I have no concept of a recipe for it, but if you ever run across one, BUY IT!

Battery.jpg

I know she would have

erin's picture

Jeanne passed away four years ago but she loved onions and I think she actually mentioned having had onion pie once. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

They are great, I have had Onion pies several places.

I have had Onion pies with Walla Walla onions in Seattle, and Vidalias in San Francisco.

And I've made a a couple using Walla Wallas with this recipe I got from the chef in SF. The restaurant is gone, ( maybe because the chef gave his recipes away on preprinted 5x8 cards? )

Ingredients

3 medium Vidalia, Walla Walla or Maui Sweet Onions
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne red pepper (can be left out if desired)
8-9-inch pie shell, unbaked
1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Method

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Thinly slice onions.
Quarter or eigth each slice.
Saute onions in the butter until transparent.
Combine eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper and cayenne red pepper until smooth.
Pour onions into shell.
Pour mixture over onions.
Sprinkle with cheese before or after baking.

Bake for 15 minutes
Lower temp to to 325 F. and bake 15-20 minutes more or until lightly browned and set.
Serve warm.

BE FOREWARNED, WITH ALL THAT BUTTER, 1/2 POUND!, IT IS VERY RICH

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Ok,

Now I'm going to have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Battery.jpg

I agree with Theide.

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

I -LOVE- the taste of onions: cooked, saute'd, deep-fried, raw (the stronger the better)

Thanks Holly, I will definitely have to try that pie recipe.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

The last time I was in Philadelphia ...

Actually, it was in Clifton Heights, I looked for Mr. T's, a restaurant I loved when I was there 20 years earlier, They had an onion loaf to die for.
Thin sliced breaded onion rings dumped in a 4"x8" rectangular loaf/casserole pan, filled with oil and baked, then drained. They sold a full loaf or a half.
There was a giant used car lot marking he spot :(

As you can tell, I hate onions. I think I only have 5 red and yellow ones in the house right now. I hate them so much I keep trying to eat them to get rid of them.
Then I forget and buy some more, giggle

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

This would be

so good on toasted dark bread with some crumbled bacon and some melted cheese on top. I think I could serve them up on little baguette slices and some sour cream and a fried chicken liver. It'd be also really good in a steak sandwich with your mushrooms.

Bailey Summers