Looking for a Story, Shadowrun?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I have this vague recollection of a story I read (at least part of) years ago.

The story involved an M-to-F TS person who was living in a science fiction and/or cyberpunk world. There may also have been magic involved which is why I wonder if it's a Shadowrun story.

My key recollection is that the protagonist was running various illegal jobs to pay for her transition. The distinctive element was that she had actually had own genetic material sampled and spliced and had created an artificial XX chromosome sample. She was using this to have a clone version of a female reproductive system grown, one that would actually be hers, and that she could have implanted when she did the SRS.

I can't for the life of me recall if this was something somewhere on this site, or perhaps Fictionmania, or ... it might have even been mainstream fiction.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Seriously good.

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

This is a seriously good work. I'm not usually into magic TG stories, but this one got my curiosity up and I had to check it out. I intended only to read a few paragraphs and 30 minutes later I decided to use the online ePub converter to convert it so I could put it on my Nook. It's replaced what ever I'd been reading. The thing I really like about it is that the protagonist is unabashedly trans, but that's an incidental part of the story. It only serves to let us know what drives her.

The story is extremely well written and, as they say, a page turner. I was fifteen minutes late leaving for work this morning because I got wrapped up in it. A great story trans element or not.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Yeah...

Kalkin62's picture

Yeah, I think that's the one, thank you both!

Shadow Run

I remembered this one once I began reading it. Very very decent work. I sorta recalled that one of the Whateley Writers wrote it but couldn't remember which one. It is rather long. I've been working my way though all day. :)
Thanks for pointing me back to an oldie but a goodie!
hugs
Grover

Hmm...

Kalkin62's picture

I must have read the entire thing back-in-the-day, because a lot of the scenes were familiar once I'd re-read them. But for the life of me, all I could recall was that opening scene.

Good stuff, I'm surprised E.E.Nalley never tried to have that one published. One would think that if any genre could hand transgenderism in a story that Cyberpunk could. George Alec Effinger's stories come to mind. Those were all mainstream SF/Cyberpunk and dealt heavily with transgender-transexual themes.

Obviously FASA (or whoever is holding the copyright on Shadowrun these days) would have to approve (and take their cut) ... but as game based fiction goes, Shadows and Dust is extremely good.

Different Shadowrun Story

Does anyone know of another Shadowrun story, it starts with the main char running a "Better Than Life" Sim as a female Shadowrunner, later he is body swapped into a pre-teen asian female body by what seems to be an Old One that had been trapped in the body?