Branded Mushrooms

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

This is the dish I am most often requested to bring to a party. It's always a hit and no matter how much I make, I never have any to bring home.

Ingredients,

6 oz. or more of whole Crimini or Golden Mushrooms
A few slices of Yellow Onion, if you have a lot of mushrooms, slice a whole medium onion
Butter and/or Olive Oil, a tablespoon or so for each 6 oz of mushrooms
4 oz. or more of Beef stock, or the liquor from a pot roast, or beef bouillon
2 oz or more of Red wine
Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, more or less
Minced garlic, as much as you like

Cut the slices of onion so that you have onion strings and cook them in the butter or oil until they are beginning to turn clear. Use a cast iron frying pan if you have one.

Wash the mushrooms thoroughly and add them to the onions, stirring with a wooden spoon to get some of the butter or oil on every 'shroom. You can add extra butter or oil if needed.

Add the beefstock, sauce and wine and stir and cook on low heat for at least five minutes. Add the garlic and keep cooking, stirring now and then. Cook until liquid is almost gone and mushrooms are nearly black, takes at least 20 minutes or should. If it's getting done (dry) too soon, add more wine. If it's taking too long, turn up the heat.

Depending on how many mushrooms you started with, you have either enough for toothpick-style appetizers, a garnish for each plate, or a side dish. Goes excellently with steak, ribs, hamburgers, poultry, fish, whatever. Makes a wonderful tidbit to dip into ranch dressing or blue cheese dip.

You can make gravy with the thickened liquor left in the pan after you take out the mushrooms.

Substitutions:

Use button mushrooms instead of goldens, they won't get as dark but the taste is fine.
Throw a few whole elephant garlic cloves in with the 'shrooms.
Chopped shallots instead of sliced onions are very good, be gentle cooking them as they get bitter if the heat is too high.
Use beer or porter instead of wine, or apple or grape juice. White wine is okay, too, especially with chicken stock.
Use chicken or veggie stock instead of beef. I actually use Better Than Bouillon paste and extra wine and some water.
An idea I've never tried is to use red-eye gravy (ham liquor) instead of beef stock.
Any dark, flavorful sauce like A-1 or soy can be used instead of W.S.
For something wild, use two ounces of coffee instead of the tablespoon of sauce.

Various herbs can be added when you add the garlic; minced fresh parsley or cilantro is good. Dried herbs are probably wasted since it is so flavorful as to mask anything that doesn't have a flavor that will cut through.

I never make this the same way twice. Once I used cranberry juice instead of wine. :)

Hugs,
Joyce

Try this!

Take large Portabella caps, spread liberal amounts of pesto on them and top with grated pepper jack, 15 minutes in the oven and you have something that beats a steak, IMHO.

Battery.jpg

Portobellos

erin's picture

Crimini/Goldens are just young portobellos, sometimes called baby 'bellos, (or baby 'bellas). Your suggestion is wonderful, I've had something similar with a different cheese, fontina, I think. I live near one of the largest colonies of vegetarians in North America and various portobello dishes are common in restaurants around here. :)

Simmer some goldens or sliced portobellos in veggie stock for awhile then add to spaghetti with marinara sauce. Wonderful taste and so simple to do.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Hey there

Made this recipe for the new girlfriend a couple of days ago. Thanks she loved it.
BTW left overs of these are really good on a left over roast beef sub. Just that the meat and some melted provalone.
Lol, Kymm ate 3/4 of that too.

Bailey Summers