Question on waiting

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

How long should a author wait for an editor to reply back to them?

Editing

This is an issue that needs to be taken up 'before' sending your story off to your Beta. "Expectations"

Everyone is different. Some people may have very quick turnarounds (A few hour to a day) while others take a week. The reality of real life often gets in the way of the things we want to do, or there may be connection or computer issues.

As a general rule if you haven't heard back from them within a week, and after a few "Hey, what's up?" emails, I think you are safe to move on. You want to make an effort to contact them so their hard work isn't dismissed summarily, but you don't want to wait around forever either.

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I think it depends on your story

The question is, how well written was your draft in the first place? How busy is your editor with other stories, and what are your expectations? When I send a chapter or a story to my editors it can take anywhere from a day to a week before I get it back. I know what I sent had a lot of work to make it easy to read, so I don't expect them to drop everything to work on my story. Remember your editor is working for free and does it for the love of doing it. Good luck, Arecee