Cucumber - Tomato Salad

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I did not know BCTS had a recipe book

I developed this recipe over many years.

For those not in Winnipeg, what is known here as an 'English cucumber' is a seedless cucumber 2.5 - 3.5 cm in diameter and about 30 cm long. Roma tomatoes are plum size, elongated and have a tougher skin than most tomatoes.

HER's Tomato Cucumber Salad

1 English cucumber
12 - 14 roma tomatoes
1 soft-ball size cooking onion (i.e. strong flavoured)
60 ml balsamic vinegar (1/4 cup)
50 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp dill (fresh is always best)

Chop the onion into chunks of about 2 cm cubed. (So the blender can smash it more easily)

Put all except the tomatoes and cucumber into a blender or food processor and completely liquefy.

Score the cucumber skin (peel?) lengthwise with a fork, then slice into 1 - 2 cm discs.

Slice the tomatoes into 2 - 3 cm discs.

Combine all the ingredients approximately one hour before serving. This marination time allows the strong flavour of the cooking onion to mellow some as it also infuses the rest of the salad.

Serves 10 - 15 people. - Sorry, it doesn't store well, past about 4 - 5 hours the tomatoes and cucumbers go quite soft. For smaller quantities, use proportionally less of the dressing on fewer discs. (I'm sure it is quite logical that the tomatoes and cucumber would store better unsliced and unmarinated.) The pureed mixure does store well for upto a week or so in the fridge.

We use those same names here...

In Ohio.

It certainly sounds interesting... Though I'd have to learn to like pickles and cucumbers... Vinegar isn't to my liking much either... I'm just not much into bitter, sour, or tartness...

I find it interesting that it's a strictly veggie salad but has no lettuce.

Abigail Drew.

Abigail Drew.